Monday, October 6, 2008

Preparing for Pregnancy: Part I


Hi! I'm Lindsey and this is my husband Nick. Welcome to my journey of trying to become a mom. So, the truth is I have my moments where I'm freaking out! Don't get me wrong, I'm mostly excited, however there is always the fear of... what if I can't get pregnant... what if I haven't prepared my body... what foods should I be eating or avoiding... oh gosh, my list goes on.


I am a dietitian and personal trainer and I'm doing research on my questions. I thought it would be interesting to blog my experience with getting pregnant (hopefully) and share my knowledge throughout the pregnancy. I recently had a good friend ask me to partner with her website http://www.real-moms-real-fit.com/. I've learned that "real moms" lean on each other for support and questions because they understand eachothers trials and tribulations. I'm hoping to be that support system for nervous mom's who are needing more information on exercise and nutrition during pregnancy.

Thinking like a dietitian, I want to make sure that my body is ready for pregnancy. I know that I need to be taking a vitamin that provides me with at least 400mcg of folate and I'm also watching my calcium intake, aiming for 1000mg (Note that teenagers should aim for 1300mg). When my husband and I were a couple months away from trying, I started taking just a normal women's one-a-day. The last time I saw my OBGYN he said the multi was fine, however, recommended a prescription prenatal.

Ok, time for confession, both the multi and the prenatal completely made me nauseas. I had to take them right before I went to bed or else I was dry heaving. Taking them right before bed often meant forgetting to take them. I decided the most important detail at this time was making sure my folate was met, so I found some children's gummies and doubled the dose. Definitely not the best vitamin, but I never forgot to take them and they didn't make me nauseas. Now that I'm literally weeks away from trying to get pregant, I'm switching back to the prenatal vitamin. I've started taping the vitamin to my bathroom mirror and putting a bottle of water upstairs (this is my "no-excuse" plan).

Thinking like a personal trainer, I want to make sure I'm doing all of the exercises that I'd like to continue while pregnant. Most doctors recommend to continue with your current routine, so it is important to develop that routine prior to conception. Personally, I'd like to be able to lightly jog and lift weights. I plan on hiring a personal trainer for at least one day a week to keep me motivated. I'm part narcoleptic (not really, but I feel like it), so I feel like pregnancy is going to completely wear me out! I'm going to need all the motivation I can get to stick to a workout routine!

Wish me luck and safe travels on my journey! I will have my professional cap on for the ride, so please feel free to ask questions. Just starting to journal is making everything feel so real, I can't wait for what's to come!

No comments: